Friday, July 14, 2017

What Do You Do?

"What Do You Do?" I get asked this A LOT during Cameron's deployment. What do I do to keep sane? What do I do to keep busy? What do I do to keep myself from getting depressed?

At first it was a lot of, "Well, I don't work so I mostly stay home with my son. We go to the park, I craft and crochet." And I always felt bad about how much that answer lacked busy-ness, but it doesn't! I care for my toddler son 24/7. I get no breaks. I also keep up with the house. I water the lawn. I fix what needs fixin'. I cook all the meals. I do all of the chores. I make sure all of the bills are paid. I make sure our cars are running properly. And somehow in between all of that, I find time to work on puzzles, crochet a new project, or watch a show.

So my answer has changed. What do I do? I do all the roles of mom, wife, daddy and husband. Of course I have friends who are more than helpful, and spend time with me to help pass the time.

The other major thing I do while my husband is gone? I workout! Yep, I keep a workout routine going for many reasons. Working out makes you happy! It helps boost your endorphins to make you happy, which helps keep you from getting depressed, and gives you something to look forward to each day. I also workout so that I can look and feel amazing when my husband gets back ;) I always feel so much more confident about myself when I work out. I don't like being insecure, so I workout to help me feel more secure about myself.

Along with working out, I can keep track of what I'm eating. That takes up some time as well with planning your meals and keeping track of your what you're eating.

Visiting family is a great way to pass deployment time. At the beginning of this deployment my son and I went to visit family for 3 weeks, and it helped out a lot. I was able to be with family, and do lots of things to help pass the time like park days, going to the lake, parties, and family dinner dates.

There is a lot to do, and a lot to be done while your spouse is on deployment. It's just having the perspective to see that.

So what do I do when Cameron is gone? Everything.


No comments:

Post a Comment