Sunday, June 11, 2017

Small Acts of Kindness

I know I haven't publicly said that Cameron is currently deployed, and I'm sure many of my friends have put it together when I visited Arizona for nearly 3 weeks without Cameron. I don't like publicly posting that my husband is gone, but I felt like I needed to state that to let you fully understand my emotions today.

Today started out normal. Waylon and I got up, watched a movie, got ready for church and Waylon even fell asleep before church. So I went early so ensure that he would get a good nap in today.

Sacrament meeting was beautiful because of the testimonies shared, and Waylon slept for nearly all of Sacrament meeting. As it ended, an elderly man came up to me, who I had seen a couple times but never knew his name, and he handed me some folded pieces of paper. He said that it was some poems he had written and he thought I would enjoy them. I was surprised, and thanked him. I told Waylon we would read them together later.

After Sacrament meeting I dropped off Waylon at Nursery, and he wasn't too happy about that. During Sunday I debating going to get him, but I knew he was going to be ok, and I wanted to listen to the lesson in Sunday School. So after Sunday School I went and checked on Waylon and he was doing better, still a little upset, but better. So I went to Relief Society.

It was when I got to Relief Society that I realized why I wanted to have Waylon with me so bad. Every time someone opened the door, I was hoping it would be Cameron walking through the door, knowing it was not his time to come home. I wanted Waylon there to comfort me and help fill the emptiness of having Cameron gone. I started to tear up, but I composed myself, and let Waylon stay in Nursery to help him get used to it.

Later when we came home, I opened the poems and read each one. They were so sweet and helped comfort me. I looked at the date they were written and they were from 1985, 1992, and 2009, but they felt like they were for me, at this moment in my life. Mostly about being a mom, and others about a boy growing up and what he wants to be. I felt like it was exactly what my heart had been trying to say. It gave me the courage to endure the rest of this deployment, and that I was being a great mom for Waylon.

I'm so grateful for that simple act of kindness and the boost it gave me. And I'm so grateful that man listened to the prompting of giving those poems to me.


No comments:

Post a Comment